After the completion of all races with qualifying slots for Kona 2022, here are all qualified athletes. I will update with information about changes such as athletes not being able to race – hopefully not too often!
- Sept 29th: Ironman has posted the bib lists, in addition to the DNS listed below, Els Visser and Petra Eggenschwiler also won’t be racing.
- Sept 26th: Svenja Thoes posted on Instagram that there will be no Kona takeoff for her this year because “the costs are way higher than I could ever afford“.
- Sept 25th: Kat Matthews has been hit by a car while on a training ride in Texas and is treated in a hospital for some broken bones ans stitches to her face. Details are still emerging, Triathlete Magazine has a post (“Kat Matthews Recovering After Severe Car-Bike Collision“) with screenshots of Instagram stories by Kat and her husband Mark.
- September 22nd: Nina Derron posted that due “to the biiig financial investment it would entail“, she has decided not to race Kona this year.
- September 20th: Linsey Corbin had to announce that she won’t be able to race Kona as she is dealing with a stress reaction in her femur.
- September 16th: Alistair Brownlee is out of Kona with a stress fracture in his femur.
- September 9th: In a YouTube video about his European Summer, Sam Long announced that he will focus on 70.3 Worlds and won’t race Kona this year (Kona reference about 14 minutes into the video).
- September 6th: Annah Watkinson has suffered from bronchial pneumonia after too much stress in her life, and had to announce that she will not be in Kona this year.
- August 29th: According to the German-language magazine “triathlon”, Andreas Dreitz has received a wildcard for Kona 2022 after an on-course accident with a motor bike ended his St. George 2022 race.
- August 28th: Radka Kahlefeldt announced that she has suffered from glandular fever and she has not been able to put in the training needed for a decent race in Kona, withdrawing from the start list.
- August 22nd: Jan Frodeno won’t be able to race after a bike crash lead to an injury requiring surgery.
- August 17th: Nikki Bartlett has announced that she will focus on 70.3 Worlds and will skip Kona this year.
- August 11th: In an interview with Slowtwitch, Cody Beals said he will skip Kona this year and focus on “better prospects for earnings and exposure, less risk, lower opportunity cost and greater personal significance“.
Speedy recoveries for all injured and I hope to see all of you soon on another start line!
Female Race Participants (Race on Thursday, Oct 6th)
|Jen Annett||CAN||1 finish (2 starts)|
|Ruth Astle||GBR||1 finish|
|Kate Bevilaqua||AUS||2 finishes (3 starts)|
|Daniela Bleymehl||GER||2 finishes|
|Lauren Brandon||USA||2 finishes (3 starts)|
|Lucy Charles-Barclay||GBR||3 finishes|
|Susie Cheetham||GBR||4 finishes (5 starts)|
|Haley Chura||USA||3 finishes (4 starts)|
|Sarah Crowley||AUS||4 finishes|
|Dimity-Lee Duke||AUS||3 finishes|
|Kelly Fillnow||USA||1 finish|
|Gurutze Frades Larralde||ESP||5 finishes|
|Manon Genet||FRA||1 finish|
|Anne Haug||GER||3 finishes, 1 win (2019)|
|Heather Jackson||USA||6 finishes|
|Renee Kiley||AUS||1 finish|
|Fenella Langridge||GBR||1 finish|
|Kristin Liepold||GER||5 finishes|
|Jocelyn McCauley||USA||3 finishes (4 starts)|
|Skye Moench||USA||1 finish|
|Jade Nicole Roberts||ZAF||none|
|Lisa Norden||SWE||1 finish|
|Laura Philipp||GER||1 finish|
|Jodie Robertson||USA||2 finishes (3 starts)|
|Daniela Ryf||SUI||7 finishes, 5 wins (2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2022)|
|Joanna Ryter||SUI||1 finish|
|Laura Siddall||GBR||4 finishes|
|Maja Stage Nielsen||DEN||4 finishes|
|Sara Svensk||SWE||0 finishes (1 start)|
|Sarah True||USA||1 finish (2 starts)|
|Laura Zimmermann||GER||1 finish|
Male Race Participants (Race on Saturday, Oct 8th)
|Josh Amberger||AUS||2 finishes (3 starts)|
|Igor Amorelli||BRA||5 finishes (6 starts)|
|Florian Angert||GER||1 finish|
|Daniel Baekkegard||DEN||2 finishes|
|Kristian Blummenfelt||NOR||1 finish, 1 win (2022)|
|Kyle Buckingham||ZAF||4 finishes (5 starts)|
|Matt Burton||AUS||0 finishes (1 start)|
|Leon Chevalier||FRA||1 finish|
|Denis Chevrot||FRA||3 finishes (5 starts)|
|Maurice Clavel||GER||2 finishes|
|Reinaldo Colucci||BRA||2 finishes|
|Braden Currie||NZL||4 finishes|
|Andreas Dreitz||GER||1 finish (3 starts)|
|Magnus Elbaek Ditlev||DEN||none|
|Henrik Goesch||FIN||1 finish|
|Arnaud Guilloux||FRA||1 finish|
|Matt Hanson||USA||3 finishes (5 starts)|
|Pieter Heemeryck||BEL||1 finish|
|Ben Hoffman||USA||9 finishes (10 starts)|
|Kristian Hogenhaug||DEN||1 finish (2 starts)|
|Nick Kastelein||AUS||0 finishes (1 start)|
|Sebastian Kienle||GER||8 finishes (9 starts), 1 win (2014)|
|Sam Laidlow||FRA||1 finish|
|Patrick Lange||GER||3 finishes (4 starts), 2 wins (2017, 2018)|
|Chris Leiferman||USA||2 finishes|
|Mathias Lyngsoe Petersen||DEN||none|
|David McNamee||GBR||5 finishes (6 starts)|
|Max Neumann||AUS||0 finishes (1 start)|
|Timothy O’Donnell||USA||8 finishes (9 starts)|
|David Plese||SLO||4 finishes (6 starts)|
|Lionel Sanders||CAN||6 finishes|
|Joe Skipper||GBR||4 finishes|
|Kyle Smith||NZL||1 finish|
|Jesper Svensson||SWE||1 finish|
|Matt Trautman||ZAF||2 finishes (3 starts)|
|Ivan Tutukin||KAZ||0 finishes (2 starts)|
|Jan van Berkel||SUI||5 finishes (6 starts)|
|Tim Van Berkel||AUS||6 finishes|
|Rudy Von Berg||USA||none|
|Michael Weiss||AUT||7 finishes (10 starts)|
|Cameron Wurf||AUS||4 finishes|
Is Mirinda Carfrae injured or has she
decided not to qualify for this year?
Since her return to racing after having her second child, Rinny hasn’t tackled an Ironman yet (but five 70.3s). I’m not sure if she has a full-distance race in her sights.