Here are the numbers of professional athletes from different nations in Kona this year:
- 17: Germany, USA
There are actually 19 PROs that qualified from Germany, but Mareen Hufe and Natascha Schmitt had to withdraw.
- 11: Australia (after the withdrawal of Pete Jacobs)
- 9: Great Britain
- 6: Switzerland
- 4: Belgium, Spain, Canada, Denmark
- 3: Brasil, France, Austria
- 2: South Africa, Estonia, New Zealand,
- 1: Croatia, Netherlands, Italy, Bermuda, Finland, Sweden, Portugal, Slovenia
As you can see, the US has been dominating the field for a long time by quite a large margin, this year would have been the first time Germany could have taken the top spot.
The next chart shows the breakdown for the Female Pros – here the USA is still clearly the nation with the largest number of athletes:
Things are a little bit different on the male side. This year Germany has the most male Pros, the first time as the “outright” leader. In the past there has been a back and forth between the USA, Australia and Germany: